1 1/2 cups Lillan’s Red Peas
8-10 cups Water, approx.
1 lb Stewing beef
1 1/2 lb Lillan’s Pigstail or ham hock (optional)
1 large piece yellow yam
1 large Sweet potato
1 medium onion, chopped or 3 Stalks green onion, chopped
1 tsp Dried thyme or 3 stalks fresh thyme
1 tsp pimento seeds (optional)
1 tsp Hot pepper sauce
1/2 tsp Black pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
1 cup flour
1/3 cup water
1/2 tsp salt
Mix together to make stiff dough
- Place dry kidney beans in large soup pot on stove, cover with water and soak overnight
- If using, place pigtails in bowl, cover with water and soak overnight in fridge to remove excess salt
- To remove more excess salt, put soaked pig tails in a pot, cover with fresh water and bring to a boil. Repeat this step two more times.
- Place stewing beef in pot with red peas and add enough water to cover the two ingredients. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to simmer for about 1 hour, or until peas and beef are cooked. Note: the beef will likely be cooked before the peas, so remove when tender.
- At the same time, in a separate pot cover pigtails with water, bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer until tender, about 1 hour.
Note: In both pots, as water evaporates when cooking, add boiling water to cover ingredients.
- When all the ingredients are tender add pigtails (with liquid) to pot with peas and beef and continue simmering.
- Peel and cut yam and sweet potato into large serving pieces; add to boiling soup. Add boiling water to pot to semi cover yams and potatoes.
- Make dumplings (see above and video) and add to boiling pot of soup.
- Add onion, thyme, pimento, hot pepper sauce and black pepper to soup pot and simmer until yams and potatoes are tender and soup has thickened.
- Taste soup for flavour and add salt or pepper, if needed.