Saltfish and Bake
1 hr 5 mins
Salt Fish and Bake-A delightful blend of Salt fish sautéed with onions, garlic, tomatoes and thyme makes you think of the Caribbean’s, yes?
Servings: – 8
Calories: 376 kcal
Author: Immaculate Bites
- 3 cups flour
- 4 tablespoon shortening or butter
- 2 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoon water or more
Sautee Salt fish
- 2 tablespoon cooking oil
- ½ pound salt fish
- ½ medium onion diced
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon white pepper
- 1-2 green onions chopped
- 2-3 tablespoon parsley
- 2-3 to matoes diced
- 1/2 or teaspoons hot sauce or pepper adjust to taste
- ½ teaspoons or bouillon powder optional
- Soak salt fish in water overnight or several days water changed several times. Drain and shred fish finely shred.
- In a medium-large skillet, add oil, onions, garlic, thyme, paprika and sauté, for about 2-3 minutes, stirring constantly to prevent any burns. Followed by tomatoes continue cooking for about 3 minutes then add, hot pepper, white pepper, mix until ingredients have been thoroughly combined. Cook for about 5 minutes or more. Add water as needed
- Finally throw in salt fish, cook for 5 minutes or more -adjust the seasoning, to taste. Remove from the heat and let it cool. You may prepare this a day in advance.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt; add shortening or butter, and, using your fingers.
- Gently stir in water into dry ingredients until all is moistened and holds together (like a ball).
- Place on a floured board and knead for about a minute. Let it rest for about 15-20mins
- You may divide dough into about 10-12 pieces and roughly shape into ball.
- When ready Flatten each ball to ½ inch thick, place on cookie sheet
- Turn dough on a floured surface,
- Roll out dough in to 1 inch thick, cut into desired shapes or use 3 inch or larger cookie cutter to cut dough.
- In a large, sauce pan pour vegetable oil, until it is at least 3 inches (or about 5 centimeters) high, place on medium heat until oil is 350 degrees.
- Fry until golden brown about 3-5 minutes depending on size. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper napkin. Let it cool
- Split in half and fill with salt fish. Serve warm
- Bake at 375° for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned
- Remove and serve warm.